Dedicated To Representing The Injured, Ill And Disabled

Is toxic exposure in the workplace dangerous?

On Behalf of | Oct 17, 2016 | Workplace Illness

Depending on your occupation, you may realize that you’ll be in close proximity to hazardous chemicals on a daily basis. If you’re one of these people, it’s imperative to know what it takes to remain safe at all times.

Unfortunately, even with safety in mind, there are times when an employee can be exposed to a dangerous chemical or toxin.

There’s no other way to say this: Toxic exposure in the workplace is extremely dangerous. For this reason, your employer is required by law to provide all workers with information about toxins.

With access to Material Safety Data Sheets, you’ll gain a better understanding of what toxins are present, how to handle them, and what to do in the event of exposure or an accident.

Note: You should also keep your eyes open for substances that are labeled with a warning sign.

In addition to being clear with regard to the presence of toxins, there are other things companies can do to reduce exposure:

— Isolate the toxins when possible.

— Use proper ventilation techniques.

— Be sure that all workers are using personal protective equipment in the appropriate manner.

If you have reason to believe you’ve been exposed to a dangerous chemical, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention. You should also share the details of the exposure with your supervisor.

Since toxic exposure in the workplace is so dangerous, you should do whatever it takes to remain safe. However, if an accident happens, you could become seriously ill. With this in mind, you should never take your health and well being for granted.

Source: FindLaw, “Toxic Exposure in the Workplace,” accessed Oct. 17, 2016


FindLaw Network