Dedicated To Representing The Injured, Ill And Disabled

What is Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome?

On Behalf of | Mar 14, 2017 | Workplace Injuries

When you suffer a broken bone as the result of an accident, you may think having the bone set is all the medical attention you’ll need. In some cases, particularly if the break is in an extremity or limb, you could develop a condition known as Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS). CRPS is most commonly associated with broken limbs and resulting nerve issues in your extremities. If you broke a bone in a car accident, a workplace injury, or even a even a simple slip-and-fall accident at a retailer, it could result in permanent nerve damage and extensive medical expenses for years to come.

If you have suffered a broken bone or limb and are now having secondary symptoms, you may have CRPS. Particularly if you were not at fault for the accident where your bone was broken, you may be entitled to compensation.

What are the symptoms of CRPS?

CRPS, also sometimes called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD), causes physical pain and discomfort in the affected limb or extremity. If you have pain or other symptoms that worsen as your broken bone heals, that is a sign of potential CRPS. The pain associated with CRPS is often called a deep ache, a cold painful sensation, a burning sensation, or heightened skin sensitivity. Increased skin sensitivity can result in extreme discomfort at physical touch, including the pressure caused by clothing. You may experience severe or extreme pain and discomfort during showers, as well.

The area that is affected may also swell or become inflamed. The color of the skin may change, and your hair or nails in the area may change as well. You may be able to feel a difference in temperature when comparing the affected area to the rest of your body. You may also suffer decreased strength and range of motion in the affected area. Unfortunately, CRPS does not have a cure, meaning you may suffer from these symptoms for the rest of your life. Medical treatments may alleviate some symptoms, but can be expensive. You deserve compensation for this injury, and an attorney can help you obtain it.

An attorney can help if you suspect CRPS

If you believe you have CRPS, it can be difficult to obtain a diagnosis. Your attorney can help connect you with a medical specialist who understands this painful and lifelong condition. Your attorney can also advocate for a better workers’ compensation arrangement or a settlement with a company’s insurer. If necessary, your attorney can file a civil suit to help you recover your losses after an accident causes CRPS.


FindLaw Network