Depending on your profession, you may find yourself working on rooftops on a regular basis. For example, this is typically the case if you work for a company that installs new roofs and/or repairs those with damage.
When working at height, such as on a roof, there is no room for error. It only takes one mistake to cause an accident that could lead to injury or even death.
Here are some of the most common rooftop safety hazards:
- Roof stability. While you expect the roof to be strong enough to hold your weight, this isn’t always the case. The roof should be inspected before anyone steps foot on the surface.
- Weather conditions. From rain to ice to strong wind, inclement weather can make it a challenge to work on a roof.
- Ladder placement. The best way to get from the ground to the roof and back is on a ladder. However, this adds the possibility for an accident to occur. Proper ladder placement, security and use is a must.
- Improper training. Everyone on the roof should be trained to do his or her job in the appropriate manner. Sometimes, it’s the mistake of another worker that can cause the most harm.
- Steep pitch. The steeper the roof, the more difficult it is to keep your traction. This is why it’s always a good idea to secure yourself to the structure.
- Edge awareness. This is exactly what it sounds like: You lose sight of the edge of the roof, thus increasing the odds of a fall.
All of these rooftop safety hazards are extremely dangerous, as each and every one could lead to a serious situation.
If you suffer an injury in a rooftop accident, make sure you call for immediate medical assistance. The sooner an ambulance arrives the greater chance you have of receiving the care you need to avoid additional injury.
Once you are familiar with your injuries and have a clear idea of the next steps to take with regard to your treatment, you can turn your attention to your legal rights. Depending on your employment status and the factors surrounding the accident, you may be able to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits.