As a construction worker, you will use a variety of tools throughout your day. While some of these are simple to handle, such as a hammer or screwdriver, others are much more complex and dangerous.
It’s important to become familiar with the most dangerous construction tools, as this knowledge can go a long way in keeping you and others safe.
Here is a short list of some of the most dangerous construction tools, meaning that you should take extra caution when using each and every one:
- Chain saw. Any mistake with this tool can cause serious injury, such as a severed limb.
- Table saw. Just the same as a chain saw, table saws are extremely dangerous. One slip of the hand can result in a serious laceration or worse.
- Nail gun. Since a nail gun uses so much force, it’s important that it’s never pointed toward yourself or another person.
- Power drill. It’s easy to believe that a drill can’t cause serious injury, but this isn’t true. Don’t let the drill bit come in contact with any part of the body.
- Ladder. Construction workers use ladders for many reasons, such as reaching the top of a building. As convenient as this tool may be, it’s also one of the most dangerous. Ladder accidents happen for many reasons, such as neglecting to place it on a solid surface.
These are not the only tools that can cause serious injury on a construction site, but they are definitely among the most dangerous.
If you plan on using one of these at any point, make sure you know exactly what you are doing. If you notice a defect, put the tool down and find another solution.
Every year, construction workers suffer injuries as the result of a dangerous tool. If this happens to you, receive immediate medical attention.
You should also report the accident to your employer and learn more about your legal rights. Depending on the type of injury and recovery time, you may be able to receive workers’ compensation benefits.