Using a ladder is a way of life for many professionals. For example, if you work in the construction industry, you may find yourself climbing ladders throughout the day.
While there is nothing wrong with using a ladder, you need to keep safety foremost in your mind at all times. It only takes one mistake to cause a serious accident.
Here are some ladder safety tips that you can’t afford to overlook:
- Wear slip-resistant shoes. This provides traction.
- Don’t attempt to use a ladder in the rain.This increases the likelihood of an accident.
- Climb slowly. There is no point in hurrying when climbing a ladder. It’s best to take your time, watching every move you make.
- Make sure the ladder is on solid ground. You should never climb a ladder unless it is firmly planted on the ground.
- Don’t skip rungs. If you are in a hurry, you may be tempted to skip rungs. This is one of the most common causes of ladder accidents.
- Don’t use a ladder with any type of defect. Don’t ascend it if it has cracked or missing rungs.
These are not the only ladder safety tips to follow, but they are definitely among the most important. If you keep these in mind at all times, you improve your chances of avoiding a serious accident.
If you are involved in any type of ladder accident, call for immediate medical attention. Also, make sure you report the incident to your employer. Doing these things will make it easier for you to receive workers’ compensation benefits if you are unable to return to work.
Source: American Ladder Institute, “Basic Ladder Safety,” accessed Sep. 01, 2017