Do you ever take the time to stop and think about electrical safety in the workplace? Have you come to realize that something could go wrong that causes electrocution or some other type of serious injury?
Electrical hazards are common in the workplace. This doesn’t mean you will suffer such an injury, but it could happen to you if you’re not careful.
With this in mind, it’s important to understand some of the most common electrical hazards in the workplace. Here are a handful to become familiar with:
- Faulty wiring. Exposed wiring increases the chance of electrocution. If you come across any faulty wiring in your workplace you need to report it immediately,
- Equipment. What type of equipment do you use during your workday? For example, if you work in the construction industry, you probably have your hands on a variety of tools. While you assume these are safe, any type of electrical concern, such as a short, can lead to an injury.
- Overloaded outlets. These are common in office environments, as many workers never think twice about this. Instead, they assume that an outlet can handle as many devices as they can plug into it. Not only is this a shock hazard, it can also lead to fires.
- Water. Most people realize that water and electricity don’t mix. Even so, it’s possible that you could make a mistake in which some form of electricity is exposed to water, such as when working outdoors in the rain.
These are just a few of the many electrical hazards that could present a problem in the workplace. For this reason, you need to become familiar with the things you can do to reduce the risk of an accident.
If you are ever involved in an electrical accident, e.g., getting shocked, you must receive medical treatment. You shouldn’t assume you can “shake it off” and resume normal activity.
Once you receive treatment at the scene, consult with your doctor to make sure that you have fully recovered. You may need to have extended rest, in which case you should consider filing a claim for workers’ compensation benefits.