Do you work as a delivery person? Do you ever stop to think about the potential health and safety issues associated with your career?
Even if you enjoy your job, it doesn’t mean you will never suffer an injury. You need to be aware of everything that could go wrong, as this knowledge can help keep you safe.
Here are some of the many health and safety issues that could come into play:
- Injury or pain associated with repetitive manual tasks, such as lifting
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Vehicle- or bicycle-related accidents
- Extended work days without the proper amount of rest
- Workplace violence
- Dog bites and attacks
- Insect stings
- Exposure to inclement weather, such as heavy rain and strong winds
It’s these types of health and safety issues that can make life more difficult on a delivery person.
Fortunately, there are some safe work practices you can implement with the idea of avoiding trouble in the future:
- Use proper lifting technique at all times, and never attempt to lift something that is too heavy
- Prepare yourself for different weather conditions
- Know how to safely operate your vehicle
- Understand the risks of fatigue
- Keep a close eye on the ground in front of you, to avoid slip-and-fall accidents
- Become familiar with the best strategies for preventing workplace violence
When you do these things, you’ll feel much better about your ability to remain safe throughout your workday. There’s no guarantee you’ll never be part of an accident, but it doesn’t hurt to take steps that can help you avoid trouble.
What should you do if you’re injured?
In the event of a workplace accident that causes injury, here are some important steps to take:
- Seek immediate medical attention, such as by calling 911
- Inform your employer as to what went wrong
- Keep track of your medical treatment and records
- File a claim for workers’ compensation benefits
If you receive a workers’ compensation claim denial, find out why and then take the necessary actions to file an appeal. You don’t want to forget about this, as the money you receive can relieve some of your stress.