You never know what will happen when you get behind the wheel of your car. You hope to make it to your destination without incident, but you understand that there are risks associated with operating a motor vehicle.
Unfortunately, you only have so much control over what happens while you’re on the road. There are many types of road hazards that can cause an accident, including the following:
- Poor road conditions as the result of bad weather: For example, if a lot of rain falls in a short period of time, water can pool on the roadway. Subsequently, if you attempt to ride through standing water, it could result in hydroplaning and loss of control.
- Traffic: You hope to avoid traffic jams at all costs, but there’s no way of doing so 100 percent of the time. If you find yourself in heavy traffic, adjust your driving style to account for a large number of vehicles in a close area.
- Construction zones: Driving into a construction zone calls for extra special attention. From cones to barrels, from heavy equipment to flaggers, you never know what you’ll face.
- Road debris: It’s not often that you’ll come across road debris that can cause an accident, but this does happen from time to time. For instance, a trucker could blow a tire, thus leaving most of it on the roadway. If you hit it head on, you could lose control of your vehicle. Also, if you or someone else swerves to avoid the debris, it could cause a crash.
- Pedestrians and bicyclists: It’s important to share the road with pedestrians and bicyclists. It’s also important to realize that these people don’t always have your best interest in mind.
If you’re part of an accident related to a road hazard, move your car to the shoulder of the road or a nearby parking lot. Call 911 to ask for help, and then wait where you are until police and an ambulance arrive.
Seek immediate medical treatment, even if you don’t have any visible injuries. From there, contact your insurance company to file a claim. Also, consider the steps you can take to protect your legal rights. If you require any assistance after your car accident, visit our website for additional information and advice.