Electrocutions are much more common than you may believe. In fact, around 9% of all fatal workplace accidents are attributed to electrocution.
Where and when you’re electrocuted makes a difference in your case and if you can sue. For example, were you on someone’s private property when you were electrocuted? Were you at work, or were you using a dangerous product?
One of the more common places to suffer electrocutions is in water. Here’s what you should know if you are electrocuted in a pool or other water-laden location.
Understanding electrocution in water
Electric shocks can happen in water a few ways. For instance, you might jump into a pool that has been electrolyzed by an exposed wire or an overhead line that has come down and touched the pool. Faulty wiring on a pool deck or on a dock can also lead to electrocution.
One of the risks with electrocution near water is the risk of paralysis and subsequent drowning. If someone is touching the source of the electricity or is in an electrolyzed pool of water, they may be unable to swim as a result of the current.
Electricity in water may not be obvious right away
Another thing to keep in mind is that electricity in water may not be obvious depending on where you are. The closer you get to the source of energy, the more symptoms you would develop. For example, if you’re in a lake, you may not notice anything wrong until you approach a dock with exposed wires. You may then have an unusual tingling sensation, but upon getting closer to the dock, full-blown paralysis or electric shock.
If you are shocked in a public pool, at a water park or even at a friend’s house, they may be liable for the injuries that you suffered as a result of the electrocution. Suing for a personal injury is possible if the owner of the property was negligent or reckless. They have a responsibility to keep their premises safe and to be sure that no one is going to be in harm’s way when using a pool or other water feature.