Dedicated To Representing The Injured, Ill And Disabled
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers’ Compensation
  4.  » Can I Choose My Own Doctor To Treat A Work Injury?

Can I Choose My Own Doctor For A Work-Related Injury?

If you are not satisfied with the medical care you are receiving from a workers’ compensation doctor, you have the right to change doctors. However, your choices are limited during the first 90 days following your injury.

At Marzzacco Niven & Associates, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, you can turn to us with your workers’ compensation concerns. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your medical care options following a work injury. Historically, our founding attorney Katherine L. Niven served as chief counsel for the Pennsylvania Bureau of Workers’ Compensation and was a Pennsylvania workers’ compensation judge. Our current workers’ compensation lawyers, Jesse Rhodeside and Adam Crosier, are battle-tested negotiators and litigators who can provide experienced advice.

When Can I Choose My Own Doctor?

During the first 90 days, you are required to choose a doctor from the list of workers’ compensation doctors provided by your employer, unless the doctor recommends surgery. If you need surgery, you can choose your own doctor at any time, even during the first 90 days.

After 90 days, you can choose your own doctor as long as you provide one week’s notice to the workers’ compensation insurance carrier.

Can I See My Own Doctor For A Second Opinion?

Unfortunately, once your injury is coded as an on-the-job injury, your treatment will only be covered through the workers’ compensation system. You can still get a second opinion from your doctor, but you may have to pay the cost of the doctor visit yourself. The exception is if surgery is recommended, then you can get a second opinion by a doctor of your choice.

Learn more:

What if my doctor says I can return to work but I don’t feel ready?

For More Information About Changing Doctors For A Work Injury

To discuss your case with our lawyers, call 717-260-3580. You can also reach us via email.