An injured worker in Pennsylvania can receive workers’ compensation benefits. The benefits include payment of medical treatment and reimbursement for a portion of lost wages. However, how long does it take to resolve a worker’s compensation claim?
The Harrisburg personal injury lawyers of Marzzacco Niven & Associates understand you want to close your workers’ comp case and get back to work. If you sustained a permanent disability, you might have the option to settle your claim for a lump sum payment.
Our attorneys have over 120 years of legal experience handling injury claims. We have settled and litigated numerous workers’ comp claims in our years of practice. We can help you navigate the timeline for a Pennsylvania workers’ compensation case to resolve the claim as quickly as possible.
Table of Contents
How Our Harrisburg Worker’s Comp Attorneys Help You With a Workers’ Comp Case
The state provides a flowchart for workers’ compensation claims and litigated workers’ comp claims. The timeline for a workers’ comp case does include specific deadlines. Unfortunately, some cases do not “flow” as smoothly as the state anticipates.
Workers’ compensation insurance companies and employers can make obtaining benefits more complicated. Insurance companies may object to valid claims and require unnecessary documents and information to process claims. The result is a much slower timeline.
Our Harrisburg workers’ compensation attorneys at Marzzacco Niven & Associates understand the law. We know the steps in a workers’ comp case and the factors that affect the timeline.
When you hire our award-winning legal team, you can expect us to:
- Investigate your work injury to determine all legal options for obtaining compensation for damages, including third-party claims
- Gather evidence documenting the extent of your work injury and your losses to calculate how much your workers’ comp case is worth
- File a worker’s comp claim, documents, and paperwork
- Monitor the progress of your claim and filing deadlines
- Consult expert witnesses regarding your case, as necessary
- Negotiate a workers’ compensation settlement that is fair and just
- Represent you in court hearings regarding your workers’ comp case
We understand you might not be sure whether you need to hire a Harrisburg workers’ compensation lawyer. At Marzzacco Niven & Associates, we offer free consultations for injured workers to obtain the legal advice they need to protect their interests.
Call now for a free case evaluation from an attorney in Harrisburg, PA. You are under no obligation to hire our firm after your initial consultation.
Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Case Timeline
The timeline for your workers’ comp case depends on several factors. The severity of your injuries and your recovery period are significant factors in your case. If you recover within a few months and do not sustain permanent impairments, the timeline for your claim might be less than a year.
On the other hand, if you sustain severe injuries that require surgery and a lengthy recovery period, it could take more than a year to complete your workers’ comp case. Furthermore, the timeline expands substantially if you must fight for your workers’ comp benefits.
A litigated workers’ compensation claim in Pennsylvania could take over a year to go to a final hearing. Steps in a litigated workers’ compensation case include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Filing a claim petition to begin the workers’ compensation case timeline
- Attending the first hearing
- Receive a schedule for the case from the judge
- Submission of medical records for the judge to review
- Schedule and hold depositions for medical experts, if necessary
- Completion of Independent Medical Evaluation (IME) by a doctor chosen by the employer
- The employer submits medical evidence refuting your evidence
- Mandatory mediation, if ordered by the judge (Settlement at this stage ends the workers’ compensation case timeline.)
- Employer’s testimony
- Final hearing
- Submission of written arguments to the judge
- A final decision from the judge
Not all litigated workers’ compensation cases go through the entire timeline. The parties can settle the case at any time during the timeline. Therefore, the timeline for your workers’ comp case might be vastly different from the steps mentioned above.
Unfortunately, when the workers’ compensation provider denies a claim, the worker does not receive medical or wage loss benefits. During the litigation, the employee could be without income and the means to pay for medical care.
If your employer or the insurance company denied your workers’ comp claim, talk with a workers’ compensation lawyer immediately. An attorney can help you file a petition to begin the workers’ compensation case timeline so you can begin moving toward a resolution. An attorney might also identify other options to help you receive the compensation you need and deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Harrisburg Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
Our legal team is ready to help you with your claim. We fight to get you the money and benefits you deserve after a workplace accident. Contact us to request your free consultation with an experienced Harrisburg workers’ compensation lawyer.