Have you recently been injured in a bicycle accident in Carlisle, PA? You could be entitled to a significant financial award if someone else is at fault. The experienced Carlisle bicycle accident lawyers at Marzzacco Niven & Associates will help you seek maximum compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and suffering.
Our award-winning lawyers have more than 120 years of collective legal experience. We stand up and fight for accident victims and their families every day, winning life-changing awards on their behalf.
Table of Contents
How Our Carlisle Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Bicycle Accident
Even though you may have the right to recover damages, negligent drivers and their insurance companies won’t make things easy for you. They’ll fight you every step of the way. They’ll probably try to blame you, too. That’s where having an experienced Carlisle personal injury lawyer representing you can help.
At Marzzacco Niven & Associates, we have decades of experience handling tough bicycle accident cases. Our attorneys are top-notch negotiators and award-winning litigators. Through hard work and dedication to our clients, we’ve been able to secure millions in settlements and jury verdicts.
Turn to us for help, and we’ll:
- Help you understand all of your legal options, including claims for insurance benefits and personal injury lawsuits
- Launch a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause(s)
- Identify liable parties and pursue maximum compensation from each and every one
- Work closely with leading bicycle accident experts and injury specialists to ensure we’re working will all of the information we need to make your case a success
- Negotiate to get you a meaningful settlement offer
- Have an accomplished trial lawyer bring your case to a jury, if necessary.
You focus on getting better. Let us handle your injury case from start to finish and fight for the money you deserve. Call our Carlisle, PA law office to get started with a free case evaluation now.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in Carlisle, PA?
There were a total of 822 bicycle accidents across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 2020. 22 riders were killed in these tragic collisions. Another 799 riders were injured.
Data from the Pennsylvania Department of Health reveals that at least 17 riders were hit in Carlisle and surrounding town in Cumberland County.
What Are the Leading Causes of Carlisle Bicycle Accidents?
Many times, bicycle accidents are entirely avoidable.
However, many motor vehicle accidents involving bicyclists happen as a result of:
- Failure to yield the right of way to riders, especially at or near intersections
- Drivers failing to leave an adequate distance between their vehicle and a bicycle when passing
- Driving or riding under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Poor visibility
- Inadequate or non-existent bike infrastructure, such as dedicated bike lanes
- Slippery and dangerous weather conditions
- Hitting a pothole, debris, or another hazard in the road
- Swerving to avoid a pedestrian or animal
- Defective bicycles or safety equipment
As you can see, there are a lot of different reasons that bike accidents happen in and around Carlisle. And, depending on the cause (or causes), a different party might be liable.
Who’s Liable For My Bicycle Accident Injuries After a Crash?
Under Pennsylvania state law, anyone who contributes to a car accident involving a bicycle can be financially responsible.
Potentially liable parties could include:
- Drivers of passenger vehicles
- Other bicyclists
- Truck drivers
- Bus drivers
- Employers of negligent parties
- Government agencies, especially if a dangerous road design contributed to the collision
- Companies responsible for manufacturing defective equipment or products
Our Carlisle personal injury attorneys will carefully investigate your bike accident to determine who is at fault. When we have that information, we can move forward and build a strong case that will allow us to hold them accountable.
What is My Bike Accident Case Worth?
The value of your bicycle accident case will depend on many different factors, such as:
- The types of injuries and trauma you’ve suffered
- The extent of those injuries and how long it’ll take to recover
- The income and wages you’ll lose out on while you get better
- Your out-of-pocket costs
- The emotional distress and suffering you experience
- Whether your own negligence was a contributing factor
As a general rule, bicycle accidents resulting in catastrophic injuries (or wrongful death) are worth more than those resulting in minor trauma.
Contact our bicycle accident lawyers in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, to discuss the specific details of your case. We’ll help you understand what it might be worth and offer insight about how a personal injury lawsuit could help you get back on track.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Bicycle Accident Injury Victims in Carlisle?
Following a traffic accident, injured bicyclists are generally able to recover two types of compensatory awards: economic and non-economic damages.
Economic awards can include money for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage
- Rehabilitation and therapy
Non-economic damages can include money for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Insurance companies will try to get you to accept a lowball settlement before you really have a chance to identify all of your damages and get a sense of what they’re worth. Let our bike accident attorneys protect you. We’ll analyze the details of your case, identify your damages, and work to ensure that you’re compensated appropriately.
What Happens If I’m Blamed For My Bicycle Accident?
You can still recover compensation as long as you’re less than 51% at fault. Under Pennsylvania’s modified comparative fault system, your damages will be reduced to the degree you share blame – up to 50%.
Other parties will try to blame you. Don’t let well-deserved compensation disappear. Call Marzzacco Niven & Associates and get an experienced personal injury lawyer in your corner. We’ll defend you at every turn and work to limit how much, if any, liability is assigned to you.
Bicycle Accidents Can Cause Severe, Catastrophic Injuries
Bicyclists who wear helmets are less likely to suffer traumatic brain injuries or die if they are involved in an accident. However, riders are still vulnerable to non-head-related injuries that can change the course of their lives forever.
Some common bicycle accident injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Trauma to the face and eyes
- Burns, including road rash
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Chest injuries
- Joint injuries
- Nerve damage
These and other injuries can significantly interfere with a rider’s ability to participate in their daily lives, work, and family activities. When a bike accident is the result of someone else’s negligence, a lawsuit may be a good option.
What’s Negligence and How Do I Prove It?
Negligence is the foundation of most bicycle accident cases in Pennsylvania. It essentially means that someone else owed you a duty of care, acted unreasonably, and caused you to get hurt.
In order to prove negligence and win your case, you’ll have to prove each of these things:
- Duty: the defendant owed you a duty of care
- Breach: the defendant breached that duty of care
- Causation: the defendant caused your injuries
- Damages: you’ve suffered identifiable harm (damages) as a result
You’ll need facts and evidence to support your negligence case. Helpful evidence might include photographs of the crash scene and your injuries, video footage, witness statement, and expert testimony.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Bike Accident in Pennsylvania?
Two years. That’s the statute of limitations for most personal injury lawsuits in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If you allow that deadline to come and go without taking action, you’ll lose the right to recover the compensation you deserve.
There are exceptions to this general rule. However, it’s best to get in touch with a lawyer right away to make sure that your rights are protected.
Schedule a Free Case Evaluation With a Carlisle Bicycle Accident Lawyer
You don’t have to handle insurance companies or a civil lawsuit for damages on your own. The experienced Carlisle bicycle accident lawyers at Marzzacco Niven & Associates are here to help you get through this difficult time.
We have more than 120 years of collective experience and have won millions of dollars for clients just like you. We’re nationally recognized for our hard work. You’ll benefit from that when you decide to ask for our help.
Your first consultation is free and we work on a contingency basis, which means there’s no cost to you unless we win your case. Contact our central Pennsylvania law office today to schedule a time to discuss your case.
Our team of attorneys at Marzzacco Niven & Associates also handles workers’ compensation cases in Carlisle, PA.