Unfortunately, religious discrimination in the workplace still occurs. Workers experience harassment and discrimination because of their religious beliefs or affiliations. An employee should not be treated differently or unfairly because of their religion.
The Harrisburg religious discrimination lawyers at Marzzacco Niven & Associates will fight to protect your right to your beliefs. We stand with employees when they experience discrimination in the workplace. Our lawyers have over 120 years of combined legal experience protecting our clients’ legal rights.
Contact our law office at (717) 231-1640 for a free consultation to discuss your legal options with a religious discrimination attorney in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
How Our Harrisburg Employment Discrimination Lawyers Can Help You With Your Religious Discrimination Case
You deserve to work in a safe environment free from harassment and discrimination. Our Harrisburg religious discrimination lawyers will handle all aspects of your claim from start to finish. At Marzzacco Niven & Associates, your best interests are the top priority.
Numerous local and federal organizations have recognized our lawyers for their legal services and accomplishments. US News & World Report listed our law firm as one of the “Best Law Firms.” Additionally, Super Lawyers and the Best Lawyers in America have recognized our top-rated attorneys.
When you hire our award-winning legal team to represent you in a religious discrimination case in Harrisburg, PA, you can expect us to:
- Gather evidence to support your claim as we investigate the religious discrimination you experienced at work
- Analyze your legal options and explain why we recommend a specific strategy for your case
- Complete the paperwork for your case and file all documents with the applicable government agencies and courts
- Fight to get you all forms of compensation available for your damages and losses
- Aggressively advocate to protect you from further religious discrimination and employer retaliation
We are here when you need trusted legal advice, support, and guidance to deal with religious discrimination at work. Contact us to schedule your free case review with a Harrisburg religious discrimination attorney.
What Is Religious Discrimination in the Workplace?
Religious discrimination can take many forms. It can be subtle and difficult to detect, or discrimination can be blatantly obvious. An employer might discriminate against an employee because of their religious beliefs or the faith they practice. Religious discrimination also includes treating an employee differently because they are married to someone who practices a specific religion.
Examples of religious discrimination include, but are not limited to:
- Denial of reasonable accommodations
- Refusing to allow a worker to take time off for religious holidays
- Establishing rules that prevent or ban specific customs or foods
- Prohibiting a worker from wearing religious garments
- Denying promotions and other work opportunities
- Permitting offensive jokes, statements, and illustrations to be circulated through the office
- Allowing coworkers and others to make fun of employees based on their religion
- Demotions or refusing to allow an employee to work in specific roles
Mistreatment and discrimination based on religious beliefs can cause harm to the employee. However, religious discrimination can also create a hostile work environment for other employees.
State and Federal Laws Prohibiting Religious Discrimination in Pennsylvania
You could have a claim under both federal and state laws prohibiting religious discrimination in the workplace.
The Pennsylvania Human Relations Act (PHRA) protects employees from employment discrimination based on protected classes. Protected classes include religion. The PHRA applies to employers who have four or more employees.
Additionally, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employers from discriminating against workers based on a protected class, including religion. However, the Act only applies to employers who have 15 or more employees.
What Are the Deadlines for Filing Claims for Religious Discrimination in Pennsylvania?
Under both the PHRA and the Civil Rights Act, you typically have 180 days to file a claim. However, the deadline to file a federal claim under the Civil Rights Act could be extended to 300 days if a Pennsylvania state law also applies in the case.
There could be exceptions to the general rule. Therefore, it is best to speak with an experienced Pennsylvania employment law attorney as soon as possible if you experience religious discrimination at work.
What Damages Can I Receive in a Religious Discrimination Claim?
The damages for a religious discrimination claim depend on several factors.
Examples of damages that you could receive include, but are not limited to:
- Back pay and benefits
- Reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses related to a job search
- Reinstatement of employment
- Compensation for emotional distress and other non-economic damages
- Court costs and attorney’s fees
- Retroactive seniority or promotions
You could be entitled to punitive damages in some cases. Our Harrisburg employment discrimination attorneys will carefully evaluate your case to determine all damages you can receive for religious discrimination. We’ll aggressively pursue all amounts that you can receive for the religious discrimination you experienced in the workplace.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Harrisburg Religious Discrimination Lawyers
You do not have to face this situation alone. You can have the full resources of our law firm on your side as you fight to hold your employer responsible for their wrongdoing. Call our law office today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced Harrisburg religious discrimination attorneys.