DUI accidents in Lancaster can cause wrongful deaths and injuries for innocent victims. Drunk drivers ignore the risk of driving under the influence when they get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. Our Lancaster DUI accident lawyers at Marzzacco Niven & Associates fight to hold drunk drivers liable for the damages they cause.
With over 120 years of combined legal experience, our personal injury lawyers in Lancaster have the skills and resources necessary to pursue DUI accident cases. We fight to get you the maximum compensation available for your damages.
You deserve to be compensated for injuries caused by a drunk driving accident. Let us help you get the money you deserve. Call our law firm for your free consultation with a DUI accident lawyer in Lancaster, PA at (717) 616-2954.
Table of Contents
How Our Lancaster Car Accident Lawyers Help You With a DUI Accident Claim
You are not automatically guaranteed recovery for a DUI accident because the driver was arrested for or convicted of driving under the influence. You must still prove the elements of negligence to win a DUI accident case. Therefore, having experienced Lancaster car accident lawyers working on your case is essential.
The legal team at Marzzacco Niven & Associates understands how to investigate drunk driving accidents. We are familiar with Pennsylvania DUI laws and how to use those laws to help with a personal injury claim. In addition, our lawyers have extensive knowledge of tort law from handling thousands of car accident cases.
When you hire our award-winning legal team, you can expect us to:
- Explain your legal right rights regarding a drunk driving accident
- Investigate the DUI accident to gather evidence proving the drunk driver caused the collision
- Verify insurance coverage and file insurance claims
- Monitor the DUI investigation by state police and local police officers
- Subpoena evidence from the criminal case, including results of a blood draw or other BAC test
- Work with you and your physicians to document and assess your damages
- Calculate the maximum value for your claim and aggressively negotiate with the insurance provider to recover that amount
- Handle all aspects of your personal injury case, including arguing your case in court if the other party refuses to negotiate a fair settlement amount
You should not be required to bear the financial burden of another driver’s negligent and reckless decisions. Instead, drunk drivers should be held accountable for the damages they cause because of a DUI accident.
Contact us to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our experienced DUI accident lawyers in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
Common Injuries and Damages Caused by DUI Crashes in Lancaster
Injuries sustained in DUI crashes can cause permanent impairments and disabilities. Some victims do not survive their injuries.
Injuries caused by drunk driving crashes include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Neck and back injuries
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Loss of bodily functions
- Significant scarring and disfigurement
The damages caused by a DUI accident include economic damages, such as lost wages, medical bills, and out-of-pocket expenses. Individuals with permanent disabilities may also require long-term nursing care. In addition, they may experience diminished earning potential because of the disability.
In addition, DUI accident victims experience significant pain and suffering because of the crash. These non-economic damages can include mental anguish, physical pain, emotional distress, and diminished quality of life. In addition, permanent impairments increase suffering over a lifetime.
Proving Liability for a Drunk Driving Accident in Lancaster
In 2020, 21 alcohol-related crashes occurred each day in Pennsylvania. As a result, thousands of people were injured, and 293 people died because of drunk drivers. Nationwide, drunk driving accidents result in 28 traffic deaths each day.
Before you can recover compensation for a DUI accident, you must prove negligence. You must prove that:
- The drunk driver owed you a duty of care
- The drunk driver breached the duty of care
- The breach of duty was a direct and proximate cause of your injuries (causation)
- You sustained damages because of the breach of duty
In other words, you need evidence proving the drunk driver caused the accident. The police officers may collect some evidence during their DUI crash investigation. Other evidence that can help prove liability for a DUI accident includes:
- Video of the collision from traffic cameras and nearby surveillance cameras
- Physical evidence from the crash scene
- Eyewitness statements
- Opinions from accident reconstructionists and other expert witnesses
- Statements made by the driver after the accident
- Cell phone records
The insurance company for the drunk driver might fight your DUI accident claim. However, if you can prove that the driver caused the crash, the insurance company is responsible for paying your damages up to the policy limits.
Our legal team can aggressively investigate the DUI crash to gather the evidence we need to prove the impaired driver was at-fault for the cause of the collision.
A DUI Accident Claim is Separate from a DUI Criminal Case
Driving under the influence is against the law in Pennsylvania. You can be arrested for DUI if your BAC is above the legal limit or your driving abilities are impaired by alcohol.
A DUI conviction can result in:
- Jail time
- Alcohol treatment programs
- Driver’s license suspension
- Ignition interlock devices
If a drunk driver causes injuries or death because of a DUI accident, they can face additional criminal charges. For example, they could be charged with aggravated assault by vehicle while DUI. In addition, if their driver’s license had been suspended before the DUI, they could be charged with accidents involving death or injury while not licensed.
Any criminal case is separate from a civil case. Therefore, your personal injury case can continue even if the court dismisses DUI charges or acquits the drunk driver of DUI offenses.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Lancaster DUI Accident Lawyers
Drunk driving crashes cause financial, emotional, and physical losses for innocent accident victims. Therefore, you deserve to be compensated for the damages caused by an impaired driver.
Call us to schedule a free consultation with one of our injury attorneys in Lancaster, PA. We want to help you file a DUI accident claim to recover compensation for your losses. Our legal team is here to help you as you continue to heal from injuries and get your life back after a tragic DUI crash.