Dedicated To Representing The Injured, Ill And Disabled
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers’ Compensation
  4.  » What Happens To My Benefits When My Place Of Employment Closes?

What Happens To My Benefits When My Place Of Employment Closes?

“When my job comes to an end, how will I pay the bills and afford proper medical care?” This question is one of the many concerns you may have if you are dealing with both the loss of your job and a work-related injury.

At Marzzacco Niven & Associates, we are here to answer your questions and resolve your concerns. We handle hundreds of workers’ compensation cases for people who turn to us every year, and we thoroughly understand Pennsylvania law and how it relates to you. Our team includes a former workers’ compensation judge, a certified legal specialist in workers’ compensation law, and a former employee of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. Call our Harrisburg office today at 717-260-3580.

What Are My Options If My Employer Goes Out Of Business?

You essentially have two options. You can apply for unemployment compensation. You can also call us and learn whether you may be eligible for workers’ compensation. If you were already receiving workers’ compensation benefits when your place of employment closed, it is likely that we may be able to help you either negotiate a lump sum settlement or negotiate to have your current workers’ compensation benefits continue.

The insurance carrier will remain responsible for making payments even if your employer relocates or goes out of business. If your employer is self-insured and goes out of business, you still have options. You may be able to obtain money from the Workers’ Compensation Insurance Fund.

What Happens If I Have Certain Work Restrictions?

If you have work restrictions due to an on-the-job injury and your place of employment closes, we can file what is called a reinstatement petition to get workers’ compensation benefits started for you. In this situation, it is important to see your doctor so that he or she can testify to both of the following:

  1. You still have restrictions due to the workplace injury.
  2. These restrictions affect your ability to engage in unrestricted employment.

Can I Receive Both Unemployment Benefits And Workers’ Comp Benefits?

Yes, you can receive both types. However, you should be aware that if you receive both unemployment benefits and workers’ compensation benefits, you must inform the insurance company. The insurance company is entitled to credit for the unemployment benefits that are being paid. If you are receiving both types of benefits, your workers’ compensation benefits will be reduced by the amount you receive for unemployment.

Arrange A Free Consultation To Learn More

We invite you to contact a lawyer at Marzzacco Niven & Associates at 717-260-3580. You can also email our Harrisburg office to set up a free consultation.